Monday, August 8, 2011

Sew, what did you say?!

Sewing...something that I have never really been interested in until recently. It all started 5 years ago when my mom got me a sewing machine for Christmas...I gave her the best thank you smile I could, but was thinking to myself 'what was she thinking'?! Since that Christmas day the sewing machine sat in the box it came in. Freddie and I pulled it out once to try and fix something on his uniform, and we couldn't even figure out how to thread the dang thing!! So back in the box it went, and moved from place to place with us. For whatever reason, and I think I'm going to blame pinterest (if you haven't checked that site out by the way you probably should because it's super amazing/addicting!), I have been feeling uber crafty lately. I kept seeing all of these items that I felt I could recreate, but would have to learn how to sew first. So thanks to one of the other SERE wives here who went to this cute little sewing/fabric boutique to learn to sew, I got the guts to sign up for a sewing class there as well. I was seriously nervous for my first class! One I was going to do something COMPLETELY out of my element and two I was going at it alone. Of course Freddie supported my new interest, and really wanted me to go so I could teach him what I have learned and fix his uniforms. So I took a leap of faith and went to my first class! Thankfully, it is a small class...6 ladies including myself, a cute little instructor who has a crazy passion for sewing, quilting and baking (and she likes to bring treats!) and 6 different sewing machines!! I was super excited to learn that I have a very good sewing machine (THANKS MOM!), and that it is very easy to use. So the first day of my 2 day class was learning about the sewing machine...the names of everything on it, which is very helpful, so now I can look at things online to sew and know what they're talking about! We also got to practice sewing...on paper! We practiced sewing straight lines, curved lines, pivoting in the corners and back stitching!! The second day I was a little nervous about because we were actually going to sew something, and not just use paper!! We got there, got our sewing machines set up, and out came the fabric!! We were given three pieces of precut fabric to make a pillow case! It was a struggle at first because I pinned the fabric wrong, which put me behind everyone else...so that was frustrating...plus, I like to take my time because I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to certain things...but once I caught up things were all good...Needless to say, we all finished our projects and were super excited!! I had actually sewn and made my very own pillow case!!
Here's the finished product!!
I can't believe that I did that!! So I was super pumped, and decided to sign up for another class! The next class is tomorrow, and we're learning how to read patterns and make clothing! I got to pick out the fabric that I wanted and everything! I'll post pictures of what I make at the end of the week...So, over the weekend I started looking at fabric online and found 2 projects that I want to take on!! A quilt and a jelly pillow!! The thing is though that I already got fabric to make some new pillow covers for the pillows on our couch! So I need to make those first, and then start on the other things...and all while doing my school stuff!! I think know I'm in trouble...I'm way to excited/obsessed with this new sewing ability!! That's all for me right now...I've been crafting other things, but I've gone on and on already about sewing I think that's enough about crafts for now!! I'm off to work on some school stuff, and then pillow cases!! Until next time y'all!! 


2 comments:

  1. Like I said I know I have a problem!! But I think it's sew cool hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete